This is our favorite (unhealthy) popcorn treat to make around the holidays! Lately, my kids have asked numerous times to make this yummy treat. We decided to have a movie night and thought what better way to enjoy this treat than during movie night! This delicious popcorn is so easy to make and I had the best helper. Note – you do need to plan and make this in advance so the chocolate has time to harden before you eat it.
You can make it festive for any holiday by adding different colored M&M’s, but we typically make this around the holiday season.
Just look at my cute helper! This treat really is so easy that even a 4 year old can make it (really!). The first step is to make the popcorn. We’re not fans of microwave popcorn (hello chemicals) and will make popcorn on the stove-top or in our favorite popcorn maker.
You can even add butter to the top of the lid and it slowly melts over the popcorn while it pops. Yum! Although, we don’t need butter for this recipe, we make popcorn with this popcorn maker at least once a week. It works so well and makes the best popcorn!
While your popcorn is popping, you can multitask and melt your white chocolate chips. We just melt them in the microwave for a few rounds, but you can melt them on the stove, either works!
Once your popcorn is popped and your chocolate is melted, pour the chocolate over the popcorn. Try to resist eating the yummy chocolate. My helper couldn’t wait to eat and had to try a few nibbles. Stir until everything is well mixed, and then stir some more. Your popcorn may crunch and break, but that’s okay. The chocolate will harden clumps of popcorn together so you won’t even notice when it’s time to eat. Then stir in a bag of M&M’s. Let your popcorn harden for a few hours and then it’s time to devour!
So what do you think? Have you made this yummy treat?
White Chocolate Popcorn
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked popcorn (white or yellow)
- 1 bag ghirardelli white chocolate chips
- 1 bag m&m's
- Pour the olive oil onto your popcorn maker. Add your cup of popcorn and start your popcorn maker.
- While the popcorn is popping, pour the white chocolate chips into a microwave safe container. Microwave on high for one minute. Stir. Microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Once the popcorn is popped and chocolate is melted, transfer popcorn to a large bowl. Pour melted chocolate over the popcorn and stir until popcorn is covered in chocolate.
- Stir in m&m's until mixed in.
- Let the white chocolate covered popcorn harden for a few hours.
- Eat and enjoy!